DEPARTMENT OF PHARMACEUTICAL SERVICES
The Department of Pharmaceutical Services in Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital is the pivot on which pharmaceutical services are rendered to In-Patient and Out-Patients in Adult, NHIS and Pediatric units.
The goal of the department is to assists and provide in the best possible way, safe and effective drug treatment. The pharmacists and pharmacy technicians are responsible for ensuring that all medications prescribed and dispensed to patients are safe, effective and in a form that is convenient for use.
The department is made up of the following sub units: –
- Pharmacy Bulk Store
- Adult, NHIS and Pediatric Dispensaries
- Compounding Room
- Special Treatment Clinic Dispensary (Adult and Pediatric)
- Free Maternal and Child Health Care Programme
- Pharmacovigilance Unit
- Drug Information
The Bulk Store is the storage and distribution unit of the hospital for all drugs and consumables required for patients’ care.
It documents all the drugs/consumables flow within the hospital.
The compounding unit of the department is a service unit where extemporaneous products are prepared. This unit specializes in creating customized medications. This is done by mixing various pharmaceutical components to meet the needs of an individual patient. We may also use premixed compounds from drug companies during this process.
ADULT/PEDIATRIC AND NHIS DISPENSARIES
The Adult, Pediatric and NHIS dispensaries run 24 hours services in other to ensure uninterrupted drugs supply / medication to both In-Patient and Out-Patients.
SPECIAL TREATMENT CLINIC (STC) UNIT
This unit provides the following services:-
- Provides pharmaceutical services to HIV clients.
- Carry out routine counseling and monitoring client’s adherence.
- Dispense Antiretroviral (ARV) drugs to the clients.
- Pharmacist monitors and documents adverse drug reactions of clients.
FREE MATERNAL AND CHILD HEALTH CARE
This unit provides free medication to pregnant women and children under the age of five (5) years.
CLINIC DAYS: – The Department runs 24hrs services daily.
The Department renders the following services: – Pharmaceutical Care: Pharmaceutical Care is the pharmacologist/pharmacist’s contribution to the care of individuals in order to optimize medicines use and improve health outcomes’.
The ultimate goal of pharmaceutical care (optimize medicines use and improving health outcomes) exists in all practice settings and in all cultures where medicines are used. It involves two major functions: identifying potential and manifest problems in the pharmacotherapy (DRPs), and then resolving the problems and preventing the potential problems from becoming real for the patient and his therapy outcomes. This should preferably be done together with other health care professionals and the patient through a review of the medication (and diseases) and subsequent counseling and discussions.
- Drug information to the patient and other health workers.
- Ethical counseling about medication to the patients, as well as other health workers on the possible side – effects, toxicity and adverse effects of drug interaction etc.
- Records keeping and documentations.
- Training of students on IT programme, pharmacist on internship as well as corps member.
- The department ensures that it is mandatory to participate on the department weekly clinical presentation with the aim to acquainting them with current trend of pharmacy profession or practice.
- Pharmacovigilance (PV) which plays a key role in the healthcare system through assessment, monitoring and discovery of interactions amongst drugs and their effects in human. … PV is concerns with the detection, assessment, understanding and prevention of (Adverse Drugs Reactions (ADRs).
- The department in collaboration with other departments is involved clinical trials of certain drugs in the hospital.