A BRIEF HISTORY OF BARAU DIKKO TEACHING HOSPITAL, KADUNA
Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital (BDTH) started out as the “Nursing Home” in 1930 as a colonial administration hospital which catered for colonial administration officials and their families. Later, after Nigeria gained independence, the hospital served mainly senior Nigerian civil servants, military personnel and their families. A new large section, opened in 1985, was named “New General Hospital” and served as a secondary healthcare facility.
In 1999, the hospital was renamed “Barau Dikko Specialist Hospital” in honour of Dr. Rusell Barau Dikko, the first medical practitioner from the northern Nigeria. This period also coincided with the posting of a batch of locally trained consultants to the hospital.
Barau Dikko Specialist Hospital (BDSH) was chosen to serve as a teaching hospital for Kaduna State University (KASU) in 2012 when it was realized that the then envisaged teaching hospital, the new 300 bed hospital, in the Millennium City (Makarfi City), would not be ready in time due to funding problems. An Implementation Committee for the conversion of BDSH to a teaching hospital was established shortly after Late Governor Patrick Yakowa; contracts for the renovation and building of new structures were awarded and work started in October, 2012.
BDTH came into existence when Law 5 of 2015 was enacted by the Kaduna State House of Assembly and signed into law by the executive Governor of Kaduna State, Governor Mouktar Ramalan Yero, on 30th March 2015. This law establishes the hospital as a teaching hospital for KASU and grants the Management Board of the hospital autonomy and powers to run the hospital as a tertiary healthcare institution.
The new teaching hospital has been accredited by both the National Universities Commission (NUC) (August 2015) and The Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) (March 2916) to serve as a teaching hospital.
The hospital’s main mandates are
- Tertiary care service delivery,
- Teaching and